With all the mayhem happening on the West Coast, businesses continue to push forward with the technology resources available to them. Logging in to one's work computer is not an option for some of us at this time, but accessing work email may still be possible.
If a major provider such as Gmail or Yahoo hosts your work email, you have probably already accessed your web-based email. If your email is hosted with Microsoft 365, you can access it today online.
The process outlined below will walk you through the steps to log into webmail. I’ll be specifically outlining Microsoft 365 as the example, but this is relatively similar for all the other providers.
- Go to portal.office.com, which should bring you to a page asking for your email or phone number connected to the account.
- Enter your password. If you do not know your password, click the forgot password button, and they will send you messages to confirm your identity and reset the password.
- Confirm MFA request (May not apply). If your company has set up Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA). You will need to approve the login with your phone.
- Pick to either stay signed in or not. Outlook will give you an option to stay logged in for seven days on this new device. If this device is not a personal computer that only you have access to, click No. You will still be able to access your emails. Ensuring if someone else uses the computer after you, they will not have instant access to your account.
- Office Suite home page*. If you are licensed to use other MS applications, you will land on the Office Suite home page, click the Outlook icon that looks like this. You now have access to your webmail.
*If you do not have other MS applications, it will open outlook directly.
- Opening additional mail boxes (Optional). If you manage more than one email account, you will have to log into the other accounts by clicking on your profile icon in the upper right corner click the dropdown that says, "open another mailbox." It will then ask for the name of the mailbox you wish to open. Once entered, a new tab will open with that inbox.
- The Final most crucial step! Always logout of the account before exiting the window.
If you have any issues gaining access, or are unsure what platform hosts your company's email, reach out to your IT provider for further assistance. They will be able to walk you through the process and setup access as needed. For more Microsoft 365 tips, check out our weekly newsletter.